STS Generał Zaruski is a 25m class B gaff ketch launched in 1939.
The vessel is the last existing unit of its kind in Poland and one of the few in Europe. Wooden, traditional gaff ketch, on the initiative of General Mariusz Zaruski, was built in 1939 in Sweden for purposes of the sail training and maritime education of young people.
The importance of STS General Zaruski for Polish sailing is huge, and the vessel is the last existing unit of its kind in Poland and one of the few in Europe. Wooden, traditional gaff ketch, on the initiative of General Mariusz Zaruski, was built in Sweden for the money coming from contributions of members of the Maritime and Colonial League. The ship was to be the first of a series of ten twin units representing Polish fleet of maritime education. Ambitious plans were interrupted by the outbreak of World War II. The yacht spent the war in Sweden. In January 1946, she was brought to Poland and during almost 60 years of her maritime service there were thousands of young sailors onboard.
The project 'Gdansk rescues the sailing ship' met with a very favorable response and sympathetic interest in social media. It is supported by unquestionable authorities: Cpt. Krzysztof Baranowski, polar explorer Marek Kaminski and Sailing Olympic Champion Mateusz Kusznierewicz.
After restoring to the exploitation STS General Zaruski again serves for sail training and maritime education of young people. She is also an important part of prevention work with young people at risk of demoralization and social exclusion, which will ideally suit, with its traditional hardware, requiring a coordinated collective effort. The ship also serves for European youth exchange programs and perpetuating the memory of outstanding achievements of General Mariusz Zaruski.
STS General Zaruski reconstruction process and her's sailing activity can be tracked on their website.
This Vessel was published by Gdansk Sport Centre